Choose a category below to be taken to that section:

Pack 340

What cities do you cover or serve?

We cover Yorkville, Bristol, and parts of Montgomery.

What schools do you cover or serve?

All schools we serve are in the Yorkville School District #115. They include: Bristol Bay, Bristol Grade, Parkview Christian, and Yorkville Grade.

Where do you meet?

Pack meetings and most den meetings take place at the Beecher Center in Yorkville on Game Farm Road. There is a map on our About page. Sometimes den meetings take place at a den leader's home or elsewhere. Your den leader will let you know about this ahead of time.

What time are meetings?

Almost all meetings take place from 6pm–7pm.

Who's in charge?

You can see a list of our leaders and committee members on the About page.

How much does it cost to join Pack 340?

There are 2 costs associated with joining. One is our Pack Dies, which is $90. This fee is once per Scouting year (September – August) and includes a rank book, registration with Three Fires Council, a pinewood derby car, awards patches, and some of the activities we take part in. The other cost is the uniform cost. This is anywhere from approximately $69.89 to $125.85 depending on what you want to buy. See the uniform page for more information.

See below for tips on how to save money on uniforms.

Joining Cub Scouting

How old (or young) can a boy be to join Cub Scouting?

Cub Scouting is for boys in kindergarten through fifth grade. Boys who are older than 10, or who have completed the fifth grade, can no longer join Cub Scouting, but they may be eligible to join the Boy Scouting or Venturing program.

How can I become an adult volunteer in Cub Scouting?

Contact us! We’d love to have you involved in our pack. While there’s no guarantee that a specific role or position will be available—and there may be a selection process among several candidates even if the position is currently vacant—there is always some way in which you can contribute.

Must I be a U.S. citizen to join Cub Scouting?

Absolutely not! Citizenship is not required of youth or adult members.

How do we join Pack 340?

Come to our next pack meeting and speak with one of the leaders that are present. Our pack meets every month during the school year (September – May). Or, you can also contact us for more information.

The Cub Scout Program

Are Cub Scouts the same as Boy Scouts?

Cub Scouting is a program of the Boy Scouts of America—so in that sense, Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts are both members of the same organization. However, they are entirely different programs: Cub Scouting is a family-oriented program designed specifically for younger boys and their parents.

What are the different levels of Cub Scouts?

There are five main levels of Cub Scouts, based on grade level:

  • Kindergarten: Lion
  • 1st Grade: Tiger
  • 2nd Grade: Wolf
  • 3rd Grade: Bear
  • 4th Grade: Webelos
  • 5th Grade: Arrow of Light

Each of these levels are split up into dens. Pack 340 currently has 1 den for each level. Other packs sometimes have multiple dens per level, depending on the number of Cub Scouts.

What is the difference between a Pack and a Den?

A den is a group of typically 5-10 boys of the same age and grade. It will be in the den where your Scout works towards his rank badge. It is also where the Scout has a chance to learn and experience a multitude of things with a small group. Normally 1 or 2 parents are the leader of a den. The pack comprises all the dens of Scouts ranging from kindergarten through 5th grade.

How often do Cub Scouts in Pack 340 meet?

Cub Scouts in our pack meet 3–4 times per month:

  • 2 times in their den (the first and third Thursdays of every month)
  • 1 time in the pack (the second Wednesday of the month)
  • 1 time in an extra activity (this is on a den to den basis)
May parents attend den meetings?

All den meetings are open to parent participation. If you would like to be present at a den meeting, ask the den leader in advance so that the leader can plan a way for you to observe or participate in an unobtrusive manner.

Uniform and Supplies

What supplies and equipment are needed to participate in Cub Scouting?

At minimum, each boy in Cub Scouting will need a uniform and a handbook. Each year, the handbook changes (which Pack 340 provides as part of your pack dues), as does the cap and neckerchief, but other uniform parts remain the same for at least the first three years. When a boy enters a Webelos den, he may need to obtain a new uniform if the parents in the den opt for the khaki-and-olive uniform.

Additional supplies and equipment may be needed for certain activities such as camping trips or field days. What equipment is needed, as well as whether it will be provided by the pack, will vary from den to den.

Where can I purchase BSA literature, uniforms, and other program materials?

Our uniforms, literature, and other Scouting merchandise is available at your local council and Scout Shops, or online at www.scoutstuff.org.

There are 2 Scout shops in our area:

Norris Scout Shop
415 North Second St.
St. Charles, IL 60174
P: (630) 797-4614
Map & Directions

Naperville Scout Shop
4S100 IL-59
Naperville, IL 60563
P: (630) 791-8342
Map & Directions

Visit this page for hours of both shops.

How can I save money on the cost of uniforms and equipment?

Pack 340 operates a uniform exchange for their members. We have multiple sizes of uniforms that you are welcome to use. Contact our Comittee Chair for more information.

A good place to look for uniforms is Ebay. A lot of uniforms are up for auction there.

Pack 340 also provides handbooks for all Cub Scouts.

Where do these badges go on the uniform?

The best reference for patches and badges is the Cub Scout Insiginia sheet. This sheet contains helpful diagrams for where the patches should go.

If you're not the best seamstress (or seamster), take a look at Badge Magic® from the BSA.

Advancement and Awards

If a boy joins a Bear den, may he go back and earn the Tiger and Wolf badges?

No. In the Cub Scout program, all boys in a den work toward the same badge. If a boy joins Cub Scouting as a 9-year-old, he must earn the Bobcat badge (all boys in Cub Scouting earn this badge), and then he will begin working on the Bear badge with his fellow Cub Scouts. He is not required to have earned the Tiger Cub or Wolf badges. Since those badges are for younger boys (7- and 8-year-olds), the requirements for those badges are below a 9-year-old's current level of ability, so "going back" to pick up those badges is not permitted.

If a boy completes the Wolf badge early, may he begin working on the Bear badge?

No. In the Cub Scout program, all boys in a den work toward a badge that is geared to their level of development. If the Wolf badge is completed before the end of the program year, a boy may work on electives to earn Arrow Points, but he may not begin working on the requirements for the Bear badge. His work on the Bear badge will begin the next program year, when he graduates into a Bear den.

May Cub Scouts earn badges such as the 50-Miler Award or Mile Swim, BSA?

Cub Scouts are not eligible to earn these awards, which are part of the Boy Scout program. All of the awards that Cub Scouts may earn are listed in their handbooks.

When a Cub Scout earns the Arrow of Light, may he immediately join a Boy Scout troop?

Boy Scouting is available to boys who have earned the Arrow of Light and are at least ten years old—so a Webelos Scout who has earned the Arrow of Light is eligible to join a troop immediately (provided he is at least ten years old).

However, many packs coordinate with a local Boy Scout troop to facilitate the transition from Cub Scouting to Boy Scouting. In these instances, it is better for the boy, his family, and both units if all Webelos Scouts make the transition together, in a coordinated fashion, rather than having each boy leave the pack as soon as he is eligible.